ELGTR (Enhanced Laser Guided Training Round)
The Laser Guided Training Round (LGTR) is a cost-effective and optimal training solution for Warfighters. ELGTR accurately emulates the employment characteristics of Paveway™ II LGBs and provides live-fire training so aircrews can practice and refine delivery tactics in real-mission environments while conserving tactical weapon assets.
In 2006, Lockheed Martin introduced enhancements to the LGTR specifically intended to improve training system performance against challenging airborne designated tactical target engagements. The resulting Enhanced Laser Guided Training Round (ELGTR) now demonstrates significantly improved CEP and CE90 accuracy, providing the highest fidelity training capability.
With today’s range limitations and budget constraints, the ELGTR provides aircrews with the ability to improve training frequency through an effective combination of lower unit cost and a smaller range safety footprint when compared with tactical Paveway II LGBs. The system is designed to minimize impact to the range and environment and is landfill-safe after use.
The ELGTR future product development program includes a multiple carriage capability that will ultimately provide improved load out with options for 3 units on a TER or 6 units on a MER. Depending upon the platform and clearances, aircraft may be capable of carrying up to 6 ELGTRs with 2 TERs or 12 ELGTRs with 2 MERs. The multi-carriage ELGTR further improves Paveway II LGB training efficiency and lowers total cost through use of multiple units during a single training sortie.
Key ELGTR features:
- Provides live-drop training at a fraction of the tactical weapon cost
- Lower cost provides increased training frequency and improved aircrew proficiency
- Smaller safety footprint allows LGB training on otherwise restricted ranges
- Safe inert storage and handling
- Shorter lead time, customer delivery within 10 months
- Standard practice spotting charge provides feedback at impact
Platform F/A-18, F-14, F-16, AV8B, Mirage F1, Mirage 2000 and Jaguar-
Weight 89 lb / 40.4 kg
Length 75 in / 190.5 cm
Diameter 4 in / 10.2 cm
Guidance Semi-active laser
Controls Pneumatically actuated (Nitrogen)
Equivalent employment to Paveway II LGB:
- Mission planning and ground prep
- Release envelope, system accuracy and timing
- Aircraft interface and compatibility
- Airborne and ground designation techniques
- Standard LGB uploading